Monday, July 21, 2008

Bishop Jenkins -"The First Plenary Session"

From Bishop Charles Jenkins, Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana:

The first plenary session of the Lambeth Conference was an important and encouraging time. The Archbishop of Canterbury demonstrated leadership that I would characterize as visionary, brave, biblical, and persevering. Many, many questions are yet to be addressed and some even answered, but I think that all will be heard, even the small voices (like mine) from the side. The Indaba (not pronounced in-da-bar, as one English Bishop tried) groups are a wonderful opportunity for the Bishops, all of the Bishops, to discern the will of God in the various voices and experiences. These groups are not representative of a triumph of process over content nor does the Indaba process represent an attempt to avoid decisions. Rather, this is for us in the west, a new of proceeding. It is an African way taken when the whole village gathers in to face a decision. As for our Western methods of parliamentary law so well defined in the 20th century, how well have this worked for the Church? So, Archbishop Rowan leads us in a new way.

Brothers and sisters, I am more encouraged than I have been in a long time. This Archbishop is showing leadership that I so admire. Continue to pray for us.

Louise and I are living in the dorm, which has certain drawbacks not to be discussed here, but which puts us right near the center of things.

I am off to Bible study.

+Charles

3 comments:

  1. Call me crazy but i have a soft spot in my heart for our beleaguered (and frustrating!) Archbishop of Canterbury.

    Secondly, I believe that +Charles has been undergoing something of a transformation since New Orleans was devastated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was starting to think that Dr. Williams was showing leadership, after his GAFCON statement and Synod sermon, but his latest quote about why +Gene remains excluded has made me reverse course for the second time. 180 + 180 = 360. No one who would exclude my parish, my campus ministry, ME, from the Anglican Communion, and do so because of "questionable" concerns, can be accused of showing any real leadership.

    I will say this for +Charles, though. I was living at St. Andrew's in NOLA when he came for an annual visitation, in 2006. As soon as the service was over, he made a beeline for the coffee hour cake, not to have the first slice but to dish it out to the congregation himself. That's what I call servant leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RB, I have the utmost respect and admiration for Bishop Jenkins. Since Katrina and the federal flood, he has been a strong voice advocating for "the least of these", those who have no power and cannot speak for themselves.

    RB and WE, I pray for the Archbishop of Canterbury who serves at a difficult time in the Anglican Communion, but I still believe that it was quite wrong for him to exclude Bishop Robinson from Lambeth. His voice needed to be heard.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.