Sunday, August 17, 2008

Brueggemann? Oh, Yeah!

Folks, I am not a morning person. It's not getting out of bed that's difficult, although that is becoming harder, but it's getting presentable enough to meet the public in the great world outside my house. Grandpère is accustomed to my scary morning appearance, but others are not.

Our adult Sunday school class begins at 9:15, that's AM. It was tough, but I arrived this morning at the parish hall with a few minutes to spare. I had to go, because my rector arranged to introduce us to a series of lectures by Walter Brueggemann, Professor Emeritus at Columbia Theological Seminary. He said that the parish congregation consists of conservatives and liberals and those in between, with most of the congregation in the middle. He was offering this series to represent the more liberal side. (My rector may not know it, but I'm closer to a radical than a liberal.)

In recent classes, we've had the more conservative view presented to us, the Alpha series from Trinity Church Brompton, in London, and N. T. Wright's Simply Christian. I did not like the Alpha series. The DVDs were shown during Lent, and I stayed with the course as a Lenten discipline and just to be able to speak with some authority about them, in the event the subject came up.

The N. T. Wright series was fine, but the motivation to rush to get to the parish hall at 9:15 AM petered out, and I did not complete the entire course. I don't agree with Bishop Wright's views on a number of issues, but I had no objection to what I saw of the teachings in the series.

The offer of Brueggemann for Sunday school was, at least in part, for me, so I felt I had to make the effort. Others had recommended his books to me, including my blog friend, Doorman-Priest, but I never got around to buying one. I was actually looking forward to the class.

Well, am I glad I went! For me, Brueggemann's lecture was like a glass of cool water, after I'd been wandering in the desert. He was terrific - definitely my cup of tea, right down my alley, every possible positive platitude that you can imagine. Plus, we had a lively and interesting discussion along with the lecture. Brueggemann is subversive, and I love him. And what a learned scholar! What brilliant insights! I remember one statement he made, right at the beginning, and I hope I'm getting this close to right, "The Old Testament is a work of imagination and memory." He went on to compare the Israelites' period of slavery in Egypt to our present day society, reminding us that in both situations, productivity was primary, but that those who produced did not profit from their production. Goals were set for the producers, and their only reward was to have the bar raised for them to produce even more, from which they would never profit.

I do not know even the name of the lecture series, or any details to give you. I searched online and did not find the series of lectures that we watched, partly because I did not know what I was looking for. I will get that information later and pass it on.

Brueggemann's denomination is the United Church of Christ. If I were not a member of the Episcopal Church, and if I did not desire with all my heart a church with frequent Eucharists, and if I did not love the liturgy in the Book of Common Prayer, I could be attracted to the UCC. Yes, that a lot of "ifs". Then, too, it's a congregational church, and, as much grief as bishops can sometimes give us, I prefer a church with a line of authority to having the congregation itself being the final authority.

All in all, a lovely day. Thanks be to God.

30 comments:

  1. In person? Wow.

    He is good, isn't he? I haven't kept up with his prolific published work for a long time now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnieb, yeah, right in the room with us. Actually, nothing he said was new to me, but hearing him in that milieu was different, to say the least. Plus, affirmation of one's own views by such a man is a particular pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first I've heard of him. I like what you reported of his teaching.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOH.... jealous. Right in the room with you? Very jealous.

    He is brilliant, I've read some of his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is the reason I started reading the Hebrew Bible again without keeping my fingers crossed. Subversive is just the right term to describe the way he approaches Scripture and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y'all do know that he was not actually in the room, right? That's Johnieb carrying on, and ya gotta play along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Under There. We cross-posted. You probably won't believe this, but I was about to head over to your place.

    Of course, now I will read Brueggemann's subversive work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read a little of Brueggemann's work. I have really enjoyed his work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two Auntees, I'm sure I'll learn a great deal from the course and from the books whenever I get to them. It's good to know more about the "whys" of the views that I hold from a scholar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, I've heard him ONCE. YOu are so lucky!

    Subversive is a good word.

    ReplyDelete
  11. plus, he's so prolific.

    He writes about a book a year (maybe more).

    Ruth, one book to start with would be The Prophetic Imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brueggemann is awesome. I remember reading him in seminary back around 1970.

    Grace continues to surprise us, no? So glad you had a great class, Grandmère.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diane love, he was not there. That's Johnieb's nonsense, and I played along. We watched a DVD.

    Thanks for the book title recommendation. I didn't know quite where to start.

    Paul, he is awsesome. You'd have to be a group of dead people not to have a lively discussion after listening to him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Walter Bruggerman is a ROCK STAR! I am SUCH a crazy, over-the-top- totaly mad fan! Him and you, of course.

    Why don't theologians have fan clubs like real rock stars?

    PS - the REAL reason I came over tonight -- besides the opportunity to swoon over Bruggerman -- how's the little one?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lindy, I was beside myself with delight. This was the best Sunday school class evah! He's the real thing.

    Why doesn't anyone ask me to give lectures? I could use the fees and the cash from the spin-off DVDs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Walter Brueggemann's commentary on Genesis is absolutely the best. I like his stuff a lot.

    I'm surprised to hear him described as 'liberal'. Although, come to think of it, I'd never really applied any label to him, other than 'good Old Testament scholarship'.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tim, he's liberal only in comparison to what preceded him in our adult class.

    Did you ever find the leaky link?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did not like the Alpha series.
    I knew you were a good woman!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Grandmere -pleasepleaseplease get the name if not the publisher of the DVD series. Please!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Grandmere, that's awesome! What a good opportunity. And it shows that your parish is at least making a gesture and providing something for the more left leaning parishioners.

    I have to read more on this guy, I haven't read any of his material either.

    ReplyDelete
  21. TheMe, I still wonder how I made it through the six Alpha classes.

    Margaret, I'll try to get the information on the DVD series today.

    Hi Allie. I'm want to get over to your blog to read your more personal account of Lambeth, and I will, maybe even today.

    ReplyDelete
  22. "My rector may not know it, but I'm closer to a radical than a liberal."

    I knew there was a reason why I like you, and here it is.

    I'm going to have to check out Brueggemann's work now that I've heard him praised by Johnieb and Tim Chesterton.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brueggemann is great. I had no idea who he was when I saw him 18 years ago at the Presbyterian General Assembly in Milwaukee (I was a young impressionable lad back then), but he made a permanent impression on me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oyster, I'm not surprised. You're still a good lad - a bit of a potty mouth on occasion, but still a good lad. Don't worry. I'm not exactly squeaky clean in that area myself.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mimi,

    I'm lucky enough to live in Atlanta, Brueggemann's hometown, and I'm lucky enough to be in a parish that brought him in for part of a lecture series last year.
    He is widely considered to be the most influential scholar of the Hebrew scriptures writing today.
    Perhaps as important, he's fully engaged with our post-modern culture, and he has a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  26. John D, you are fortunate. I'm definitely joining the swooning brigade.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh you lucky woman. Brueggerman is simply wonderful. If you never buy but one book, buy his Inspiration's book on Genesis. His treatment is so amazingly beautiful you will cry. I used it as a textbook at a catholic college in a masters program once. I will never ever forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been fortunate enough to see Brueggeman lecture twice and preach once. And actually meet him.

    I'd say even more, but then I'd be bragging. It helps that I went to the seminary where he was Dean before he went to Atlanta.

    His work has, if anything, improved with age; a rare thing, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Afeatheradrift, I've taken note of your recommendation. Thank you.

    Rmj, I'd like to hear more about your encounter with Brueggemann, bragging or not. You could make an exception just this once.

    I read your link. I probably read it when you posted it, but the name didn't resonate then.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just green with envy. I'd like to know DVD details too.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.