Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Paul Newman - True Story


This picture is worth the e-mail even if you don't take the time to read the story below.

Only women of a certain era will fully appreciate this....true story.

(If you don't understand this, tell your mother, she'll get it!)

A Michigan woman and her family were vacationing in a small New England town where Paul Newman and his family often visited. One Sunday morning, the woman got up early to take a long walk. After a brisk five-mile hike, she decided to treat herself to a double-dip chocolate ice cream cone.

She hopped in the car, drove to the center of the village and went straight to the combination bakery/ice cream parlor. There was only one other patron in the store: Paul Newman, sitting at the counter having a doughnut and coffee. The woman's heart skipped a beat as her eyes made contact with those famous baby-blue eyes. The actor nodded graciously and the star struck woman smiled demurely.

Pull yourself together! She chides herself. You're a happily married woman with three children, you're forty-five years old, not a teenager!

The clerk filled her order and she took the double-dip chocolate ice cream cone in one hand and her change in the other. Then she went out the door, avoiding even a glance in Paul Newman's direction.

When she reached her car, she realized that she had a handful of change but her other hand was empty. Where's my ice cream cone? Did I leave it in the store? Back into the shop she went, expecting to see the cone still in the clerk's hand or in a holder on the counter or something! No ice cream cone was in sight...

With that, she happened to look over at Paul Newman. His face broke into his familiar, warm, friendly grin and he said to the woman, 'You put it in your purse.'


From my brother-in-law.

Disclosure: This is not the picture that came with the email. I could not load the original into Blogger. I liked the other better, but I chose this one to show how handsome he remained in his mature years. He aged well, like a fine wine.

15 comments:

  1. That is hysterically funny...I would have launched into a facial tic (what do you mean only women of a certain age?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leonardo, that's what the email said. I simply quoted. I loved it, too. I can see myself doing something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gram, I think I know what you mean by "women of a certain age" - if by "women" you mean any one who knows what a hotty Paul was and continued to be well into his maturity, and by a certain age you mean old enough to understand my first point.

    Reading your frequent comments on OCICBW and then subsequently checking out your blog, I finally realized what I was missing - what I'm sure must be a "Whah buttah wouldn't melt in mah mouth - Southern accent to make my knees weak...well, that is if you looked like Paul Newman. :)

    Peace, Larry from the U.P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, I was puzzled about the UP, but now I understand. I thought perhaps the UPI had latched on to my blog, and I was about to become famous.

    You certainly may claim the title of une femme d'un certain âge with respect to Paul. It sounds better in French, doesn't it?

    I grew up in New Orleans, and we do not have the typical southern accent. We have accents all our own, about five different accents, really, depending on which neighborhood we grew up in. We do tend to drawl the words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I would have done the same thing if I carried a purse! This is hilarious. I love Paul Newman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I had a nickel for every time I had heard this "true story," I'd have at least a quarter by now.

    Still seems like a reasonable response.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, it really doesn't matter to me if it's true or not. If it's not, then it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. True story:

    My cousin out in California worked in an ice cream store over 20 years ago, and she was closing up for the night when there was a gentle rapping at the door. It was Paul Newman! He wanted to see if she would let him in to get some ice cream, even though it was five minutes after closing.

    She wouldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, how silly of her! She might have ended up with a very attractive tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oyster, you've got one crazy cousin.

    Any other "true stories" about Paul Newman?

    I saw him in the last play he did on Broadway, "Our Town". He played the the Stage Manager. True story, but I've already told y'all that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's hard not to admire Paul Newman for putting his money to work in such productive ways, such as his Newman's Own line--high quality stuff and the proceeds go to good causes... very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story! I can imagine if true that Mr. Newman had a great laugh and enjoyed retelling the story to his friends. I suspect many people would have done the same kind of thing. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Movie Fan. Welcome. Paul had it all. He was not only handsome as a dream and a great actor, he was a good man. He never let his fame go to his head, but always remained grounded. He and the lovely Joanne were together in that.

    AFeather, I'm sure that he had many stories to tell, and that he loved telling them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the first thing to make me break out in laughter in oh, too long a time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous, I'm pleased to oblige. Laughter is healing.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.