Friday, May 8, 2009

George Carlin On Aging

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old
is when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited
about aging that you think in fractions.

"How old are you?" "I'm four and a half!" You're never thirty-six and a
half. You're four and a half, going on five! That's the key.

You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the
next number, or even a few ahead. "How old are you?" "I'm gonna be 16!"

You could be 13, but hey, you're gonna be 16! And then the greatest
day of your life . . . you become 21. Even the words sound like a
ceremony . . . YOU BECOME 21. YESSSS!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like
bad milk. He TURNED; we had to throw him out. There's no fun now,
you're just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40. Whoa! Put on the
brakes, it's all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50 . . ..
and your dreams are gone.

But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn't think you would! So you
BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE it to 60. You've built
up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it's a day-by-day thing;
you HIT Wednesday! You get into your 80s and every day is a complete
cycle; you HIT lunch; you TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime.

And it doesn't end there. Into the 90s, you start going backwards; "I
Was JUST 92."

Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a
little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half!"

May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!!

HOW TO STAY YOUNG

1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height.
Let the doctors worry about them. That is why you pay them.

2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.

3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening,
whatever. Never let the brain idle. " An idle mind is the devil's
workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer's.

4. Enjoy the simple things.

5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.

6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person who is

with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.

7. Surround yourself with what you love, Whether it's family, pets,
keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.

8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable,
improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.

9. Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, even to the next
county; to a foreign country but NOT to where the guilt is.

10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.


The last statement is so very true. I'm quite serious when I say that, although I've been through rough times, I thank God that I have had many beautiful moments in my life that took my breath away.

And turning 30 was a tremendous shock to me. I breezed through the remainder of the turning decades.

Thanks to Doug.

14 comments:

  1. Excellent advice, Mimi. Today is my anteater Zotney's 30th birthday. He strongly agrees with the principles listed here. He seems OK with #30. Of course, he has listened to me talk about how the 30s are "the mellow decade" and how I enjoyed them. Hugs from Zots and me.

    Paul the BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi--thanks for passing this along. I saw and heard the late curmudgeon Carlin do this very routine in a re-run recently. I could see and hear him all over again today.

    And, similarly, the only milestone that wrecked my nerves was turning 30! That was only because my then wife (or as I like to call her, "my LAST wife") woke me at 11:58 PM on birthday eve to tearfully inform me, "Our youth is over!"

    Having unburdened her grief, she then fell promptly asleep and left me staring blankly at the ceiling, sleeplessly pondering my misspent youth.

    Needless to say, our marriage was all downhill thereafter. It only lasted 12 more years which somehow felt like 24.

    Give Grandpère and extra hug today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Zotney! - with love.

    I felt that I was no longer young when I turned 30. My youth was gone, passed away.

    But now, just look at me. Forever young!

    Crapaud, I'll give GP an extra hug today. You made me laugh with the story of your tragic life. I'm sure I should be shedding tears for you, instead. I'm sorry. Maybe later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who is, um, reaching 50 (it's a bit of a reach, but still), I'm struggling with this birthday more than any so far.

    On the day after my 30th birthday I found myself single, in a job I hated, in a town where I didn't fit in (and hungover :-)). That very day I started the process of getting into grad school. When I did, I sold my house, quit my job, and moved from Alabama to Arizona to start over.

    I met my husband in grad school, we have 2 lovely daughters, and our marriage is great.

    What scares me about 50 is that I can no longer trick myself into believing I'm not middle aged. My kids are still really little and I cry at even the thought of them becoming young women without their mother (like now). I really never have had those kinds of thoughts before.

    Well anyway - I'm going to focus on the ways to stay young! I liked this post so much I twittered it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi-- I'm glad you chuckled--I achieved my goal. Weep not for me, I'm having a splendiferous life. And so, to all appearances is my last wife!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilary, until my children grew up, I lived in fear of not being there with them. I thought no one could love them as I did. I don't know if that would have been true, because I made it. However, sometimes they're still in need of their mama.

    Crapaud, I'm glad to hear that you and your last wife are both happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right! Even the natiest life has something beautiful in it and we have to be thankful for where we are at the moment.

    My mom was always 39 years old. That was awful because we never knew how old she was and when she died we had to figure her age from the birth certificate we found while cleaning out her apartment!

    Because of her obcession with age, I have never been ashamed of where I was on that old time line!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ciss, your mom, Jack Benny, and a good many other folks. I'm not shy about giving out my age, which approaches the quarter-century mark. Reaching age 70 was liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup! I shall shortly be 63. I do not care. It is just the next number on the road.

    FWIW
    jimB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim, loud and proud. That's the way.

    All of you are mere youngsters, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been afraid to give my age. Everyone I meet in China thinks I'm a lot younger than I am. Now there's an ego booster! Then I look in the mirror and it evaporates.

    re: no. 10, my mom said "I love you" to me on the phone last week. That's probably the first time in 30 years. I thought I had a wrong number!

    Thanks for the great post Mimi/Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome, JimB. I turned 63 today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well the week end arrived and along with it my first lesson in finding/viewing other peoples blogs - so far, so good.

    I really liked your piece on aging. Definitely one to show my sister who turns 40 later this month and isn't exactly looking forward to it. I keep telling her it's just another number but she isn't having any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Petty Witter, congratulations and welcome. 40? Your sister is still a young woman. How perspective on what is young changes over the years!

    I wasn't having it at age 30, either. The hippies' favorite saying back then was, "Never trust anyone over 30!"

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.