Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Oceanographer To Presiding Bishop


From Search Magazine:

Katharine Jefferts Schori loved being an oceanographer. She thought digging in the mud for squids and octopuses and trolling the Pacific Ocean with the National Marine Fisheries Service was the most fascinating job in the world, and had spent more than a decade studying biology, chemistry, geology, and meteorology to prepare for it.

Because of Reagan era budget cuts for scientific research, she lost her job at the fisheries service and could not find another doing what she loved, working in the field - rather the shore or the water.

However, the priesthood was far from her thoughts, even after suggestions on separate occasions by three people

But being approached by three people separately about ordination was strangely moving, too, so she discussed it at length with her pastor. Meanwhile, Jefferts Schori, never one to sit idle, threw herself into volunteer work, chairing the parent-teacher organization at her daughter’s school, founding a chapter of Habitat for Humanity, and serving on the board of a women’s philanthropic group in Corvallis. She also studied religion at Oregon State University, taking courses she was later asked to teach. Slowly, her grief over a lost career in oceanography began to fade.
....

One Sunday in 1991, Jefferts Schori was asked to preach at Good Samaritan while the clergy were away at a convention. The Episcopalians gathered at Good Sam that morning liked what they heard and told her so. “The experience of preaching, of preparing to do it, and the feedback I got afterward, finally let me hear the surprising thing people in the congregation were asking of me,” Jefferts Schori says. She is no pulpit thumper, but the former scientist’s sermons are quietly effective. She moves with ease from biblical exegesis to scientific analysis to wry, self-deprecating anecdotes, goading and exhorting along the way but rarely stooping to preachiness or sentimentality. Six months after that Sunday in the pulpit, Jefferts Schori entered the seminary.


Daniel Burke does a fine job in this article, telling the story of how Bishop Katharine went from oceanographer to Presiding Bishop. Check it out.

When the videos of the candidates for the position of Presiding Bishop were posted at the website of the national office, I watched all six of them, and, judging just from the videos, I was most impressed with Bishop Katharine, but I thought she had no chance of being elected. However, I put myself on record in the comments at Terry Martin's old blog, Fr. Jake Stops the World, saying that I thought she was the best of the six. I was as surprised as anyone when she was chosen. I think that it's cool that we have a presiding bishop who is a woman and a scientist.

H/T to Three Legged Stool.

10 comments:

  1. I thought the article was really well done. ++Katharine spoke to the clergy here the day before the consecration of our new bishop. As a retired scientist myself, I was proud to be in the room with her and another scientist our then bishop Chilton Knudsen. And my deacon (female) was also a scientist and was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Bishop Katharine was in New Orleans for the meeting of the House of Bishops, I attended the service at which she preached and presided. Her sermon was excellent.

    At the coffee afterwards, I spoke to her for a few minutes. She was approachable and easy to talk to. What strikes me about her are her serenity and her composure. She seems quite comfortable in her own skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is one of the best-written pieces of journalism I've read in a long while. It really seems to touch on the essence of of our PB's story and what makes her leadership so appropriate for us at this time. It's a real gift for a writer to be able to bring out what's interesting about a person with no sensationalism and no gimmicks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Clara, I agree. It's well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this article which has increased my admiration for her (if that was possible). I was struck at how God used a ridiculous Reagan government policy to guide her to the ministry. I have noted in my own life (in a much smaller sphere) how God uses apparent setbacks for his own good purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, thinks it's cool that we have a scientist bishop.

    ++Katharine served on the committee which interviewed me for ordination in the Diocese of Oregon. She is a very wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, I've her noted the same about apparent setbacks. In the end, they work for good.

    Margaret, how blessed you were to have her on your interview committee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Diane. Prayers for your arm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must go read the article. She seems like a truly wonderful human being.

    She was in seminary with a TEC friend of mine who is not part of our blogworld but who knows Tobias and others. He had nice things to say about her when we discussed her becoming PB, which was when I was in touch with him.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.