Sunday, December 27, 2009

It's Still Christmas - Gayle's Christmas Pin


After my sister Gayle died, my nieces offered me mementos from the possessions she left behind. I was at a loss about what to take. I nearly froze. I had to carry whatever I chose home on the plane. Finally I spotted the small Christmas pin and made my choice.

In the months after Gayle died in April of 2006, I wanted to feel her presence, to dream about her, to have a dream with a message for me, but it never happened until Christmas of 2006 when I wore the pin to the Christmas Eve service at my church, and I felt her strong presence. Every year since Gayle died, at Christmas, when I wear the pin, I sense her presence. This year was no exception. As the service approached the time for the distribution of communion, I felt a chill, and she was with me. I thought of the lovely movie, "Places In The Heart", of the scene in the church at the communion service, when all the people who had died in the course of the movie were there in the congregation taking communion.

And O Lordy, Lordy! I feel Gayle's presence now as I type, and it's lovely. The Communion of Saints is real - at least to me. Not only is Gayle present but also the great Cloud of Witnesses of all those who have gone before.


Ecclesiasticus 44:1-10,13-14

Let us now sing the praises of famous men,
our ancestors in their generations.
The Lord apportioned to them great glory,
his majesty from the beginning.
There were those who ruled in their kingdoms,
and made a name for themselves by their valor;
those who gave counsel because they were intelligent;
those who spoke in prophetic oracles;
those who led the people by their counsels
and by their knowledge of the people's lore;
they were wise in their words of instruction;
those who composed musical tunes,
or put verses in writing;
rich men endowed with resources,
living peacefully in their homes--
all these were honored in their generations,
and were the pride of their times.
Some of them have left behind a name,
so that others declare their praise.
But of others there is no memory;
they have perished as though they had never existed;
they have become as though they had never been born,
they and their children after them.
But these also were godly men,
whose righteous deeds have not been forgotten;
Their offspring will continue forever,
and their glory will never be blotted out.
Their bodies are buried in peace,
but their name lives on generation after generation.

21 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. I know that you miss your sister very much... She is part of the Great Cloud of Witnesses and she is close to you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely piece of writing and a wonderful honor to your sister's memory. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fran and Mary. The pin is a sacramental for me now, like a rosary or a prayer book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite Eucharistic Communion scene is the 'tavern' scene from Les Miz. Chilling. I feel it every time I have the enormous privilege of presiding at Eucharist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, Elizabeth. That scene, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi, I like to think she's been there at the rail with you more weeks than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kirke, I believe you're right. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every tribute you have written to Gayle has been beautiful and moving, as is this. I second Kirkepiscatoid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Paul.

    I heard from my brother-in-law and my two nieces, Gayle's husband and daughters, and they liked the post, which is quite important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the beautiful post, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a beautiful post. What a wonderful bond between sisters. I, too, feel those who have gone on before me in my life. It is such a comfort.

    I love the movie, "Places in the Heart." It reminds me of my maternal grandmother. Her husband died and left her with 12 children. They farmed and made a living. This was in the 1930's. She was one of the strongest women I have ever known.

    ReplyDelete
  12. KJ, thanks.

    Two Auntees, thank you. Your grandmother must have been a strong woman, indeed,

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful thing to have a physical reminder of your sister accompanying you to the altar rail. I agree with those who say that she's been there with you even when you were not wearing the pin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Grandmère Mimi, The Communion of Saints is very real. I do not doubt that Gayle has always been present with you. I know I have felt my mother's presence at the altar rail many times since returning to the church and I realized she had never really left me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our loved ones who have gone before are always with us. Perhaps, we simply need to pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  16. {{{Mimi}}}

    For reasons of my gender peculiarities, I rarely wear any of my mom's (RIP, 2007) jewelry...

    ...but there's one cross of hers that I wear on special occasions---as I did this Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  17. JCF, thanks for the hugs.

    Ah, your Mom's cross....

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a deeply moving story, Mimi. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Ellie. Gayle was my best friend, as well as my sister. I spoke to her about things that I would not speak of to anyone else in the world.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.