Tuesday, January 12, 2010

FEAST OF ST. AELRED


When I was in the north of England last year, I wrote at Wounded Bird about my visit to Rievaulx Abbeny.

We arrived at Rievaulx Abbey. Oh my! What a beautiful place. Mrs MP and I toured the Abbey while MP exercised the collies. What a holy place. I could sense the presence of many saints from the past who prayed there, and the prayers seemed to linger in the abbey. I thought of our blog friend Prior Aelred of St. Gregory's Abbey, because his namesake was abbot of Rievaulx Abbey.

Readings:

Psalm 36:5-10
Ruth 1:15-18
Philippians 2:1-4
Mark 12:28-34a




PRAYER:

Almighty God, you endowed the abbot Aelred with the gift of Christian friendship and the wisdom to lead others in the way of holiness: Grant to your people that same spirit of mutual affection, that, in loving one another, we may know the love of Christ and rejoice in the gift of your eternal goodness; through the same Jesus Christ our Savior, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Image of Aelred from The Lectionary.

2 comments:

  1. Today is Orange Guy's feast day because his real name is Aelred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish Orange Guy a happy feast day for me, Caminante.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.