Tuesday, May 11, 2010

R. I. P. LENA HORNE



-- from the 1943 film of the same name, the great Lena Horne delivers a sizzling performance of her signature song.


From the New York Times:

Lena Horne, who broke new ground for black performers when she signed a long-term contract with a major Hollywood studio and who went on to achieve international fame as a singer, died on Sunday night in Manhattan. She was 92.

Her death, at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, was announced by her son-in-law, Kevin Buckley. She lived in Manhattan. In a message of condolence, President Obama said Ms. Horne had "worked tirelessly to further the cause of justice and equality."

PS: I remember seeing "Stormy Weather". Yes, I am old.

7 comments:

  1. Lena Horne was one of my late mother's great favourites. The beauty, the charm, the voice ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved her voice and beauty and appreciated her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lena Horne was a class act.

    So are you, Mimi. You're not really going to give up blogging, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena was a lovely and talented lady. She carried herself with such dignity, yet she was not at all stuffy.

    Cathy, I'm not giving up blogging today. The blog, such as it is, demands many hours on the computer and is hard work. I call Wounded Bird my bitch mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw her LIVE, Mimi, so what does that make me? ;-/

    ReplyDelete
  6. JCF, that makes you special, very special. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.