Tuesday, September 27, 2011

COMMENTARY ON AN ESSAY IN FAVOR OF THE ANGLICAN COVENANT

The Living Church launched Our Unity in Christ, a series of essays supporting the proposed Anglican Covenant, in February 2011. An introduction and complete index to the series are available here.
I've read several of the essays published by TLC, and I find them far less than persuasive. I'd say the essays include some of best defenses of the covenant around, and I suspect that the text of the document itself is a major problem for those in favor of its adoption. Of course, those of you who have previously visited my blog know that I am strongly opposed to the covenant. See the emblem on the sidebar, and, in the interest of even fuller disclosure, I am a member of the No Anglican Covenant Coalition.

My commentary on quoted excerpts from the essay by Bishop Victoria Matthews, Bishop of Christchurch, New Zealand, titled 'Greeting the Saints', in support of the Anglican Covenant follows. Of course, please read the essay in its entirety and make your own assessment.

Bp. Matthews says:
People are sometimes surprised that I support the proposed Anglican Covenant because there is a widespread belief that the crafters of the Covenant intend to stop new developments in the Communion. Similarly, many Anglicans believe that if there had been a Covenant 25 years ago, we would not have both sexes elected and consecrated to the episcopate. (“We would not have women bishops,” they say, without speaking of “men bishops.” Bishop is not a gender-exclusive noun, and women is not an adjective.)
I confess I am surprised. How would we have had women bishops with the covenant in place, unless the churches which decided to ordain women bishops moved forward in the face of objections by other churches who oppose the ordination of women as bishops and risk 'relational consequences' of some undefined sort? When would the churches of the Anglican Communion have come to one mind about women bishops? Who can say?

Also 'women' can indeed be an adjective. So says Merriam-Webster.
It is widely acknowledged that modern communication technologies, and especially the Internet, have complicated the life of the Anglican Communion.
Technology complicates many aspects of life today, not just that of the church. For good or for ill, communication is close to instantaneous, and we all need to adapt to the change. Isn't it about time to stop moaning about technology and start to adapt? The internet with its instant communication is not going away.
I have even heard that it is advisable not to attend certain events, as the coverage at home is always superior to what one learns by attending in person, and by staying at home you don’t have to meet the people who you know are wrong anyway.
I've heard that, too, but think of the logical consequences if everyone took the words to heart and stayed away: There would be no event. At the same time, technology opens up the possibility of meetings without all the participants having to be physically present. Of course, since I'm an incarnational type, I value highly face-to-face meetings, and they are, at times, quite necessary.
What would happen if the provinces of the Communion were equally dedicated to being in relationship one with another, no matter what? Archbishop Rowan commended this to the bishops at the 2008 Lambeth Conference’s opening retreat. The Indaba Group of the Lambeth Conference also attempted to foster it. What if the requirement of the Covenant actually enforced listening and being in relationship? I imagine you cringe at the word enforce, and so do I. But will it happen otherwise? Section 4 of the Covenant exists precisely to ensure the kind of listening, communication, and relationship that is presently missing in the Anglican Communion.
Those churches, Primates, and bishops who choose to boycott gatherings seem not very dedicated to being in relationship. Besides, to use Lambeth 2008 as any kind of model seems ludicrous to me, when the one person who most needed to be included in the Indaba, Bishop Gene Robinson, was not invited to Lambeth by Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams because he was a partnered gay man.

Yes, I cringe at the word 'enforce'. To attempt to enforce listening is as futile as the Anglican Covenant's call to force the bonds of affection. You can put people in the same room, but you can't make them listen to each other.
It is my prayer that the Anglican Covenant will act as a midwife for the delivery of a new Anglican Communion, a Communion that has its gestation in relationship and deep listening.

What is the bishop's vision of the new Anglican Communion? I'd like a clearer picture. Whatever her vision, the choice of the Anglican Covenant as the midwife for the delivery seems to me disastrous.

Bishop Matthews serves on the Inter-Anglican Standing Commission on Unity Faith and Order. I understand that for members appointed to committees by the Anglican Communion Office or the Archbishop of Canterbury the pressure to speak in favor of the covenant must be rather intense. Still, much of what Bishop Matthews says seems to me faint praise. I find it especially telling that so few quotes from the actual text of the covenant appear in the essays in favor of the covenant. Could it be because the covenant is badly written?

And, in passing, the name of the committee on which Bishop Matthews serves makes me cringe, because it reminds me of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith of the Roman Catholic Church, which began life as Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition. As a former Roman Catholic, I know that the Congregation was often used to discipline 'dissidents'. The comparison may be unfair, but I wish the committee had another name.

UPDATE: I meant to link to Lionel's post on Victoria Matthews' essay at Lionel Diemel's Web Log, where I first posted parts of my commentary.

28 comments:

  1. Mimi, I have the same problem with the covenant as you do. I’m a former RC too and one of the reasons I left was because of the heavy-handed way the Congregation dealt with people at all levels of the church.

    And the wording of the covenant is exemplary of writing by committee; attempts to please everyone and cover all bases without offending anyone produces dangerous rhetoric that is neither hot nor cold. I say “spit it out” myself.

    WV: vaighba The Anglican Covenant is vague and I cry bah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "To attempt to enforce listening is as futile as the Anglican Covenant's call to force the bonds of affection."

    As the Windsor "Listening Process" (listening to LGBT Anglicans---which in most places didn't happen) proved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, I could have said so much more, and I could have used much saltier language, but I wanted the post to be serious.

    Your second paragraph is spot on. Blah! is right.

    JCF, the absurdities multiply as the defenders attempt to justify the covenant, which is nothing more than a POS. There. My salty language got away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We call people like her "Queen Bee" - she has her miter and thinks she got it because of something she did -not realizing that she stands on the shoulders and sometimes necks of others. The worst kind of "old boy"

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Woman bishop" is a compound noun. No adjective but correct usage.

    It's not an adjective in "Bishop Matthews" either, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OED says it can be a compound adjective - eg "woman-ridden".

    wv "beaver".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, Ann, if there are too many others, the 'Queen Bee' doesn't stand out quite as much.

    Lapin, I only intended to counter what Victoria Matthews said in her quote, but thanks for covering all the bases. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bishop Matthews has always understood herself to be the exception, or at least exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand that for members appointed to committees by the Anglican Communion Office or the Archbishop of Canterbury the pressure to speak in favor of the covenant must be rather intense.

    Victoria and I had our differences when she was my bishop here in Edmonton, but one thing I am sure about is that if she was not in favour of the covenant she would say so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I suppose I should begin by saying I am also a member of the Coalition and proud of my colleagues including Mimi. There it is, full disclosure.

    My only problem with your comments on the article is they were a bit too kind. Her piece is incoherent.

    You nailed the big issue with the TLC articles. While most of them are very erudite, and some do make an interesting but (I think) wrong argument for the idea that catholicity requires greater levels of bonding, none of them and certainly not ABp Mathews pathetic screed, make a case for the Covenant.

    Dr. Williams set the ground rules, this document in all its vague, theologically weak, legally impossible, vain-glory is the sole document on offer. OK, instead of defending what is not before us, TLC might try to defend what is.

    The rational position is NO Covenant, and the least wrong position is Not This Thing!

    FWIW
    jimB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Burl, it's difficult for me to see how Bp. Matthews does not realize that the covenant would have made it nearly impossible for women to be ordained bishops without one or more churches declaring the practice against 'the mind of the Communion'.

    Tim, what do you think of Victoria Matthews' essay?

    Jim, I'm sorry for being too nice. ;-)

    The essays simply do not make the case for the covenant as the solution for the problems and quarrels in the AC. And though not everyone says it straight out, we are presented with the covenant as the only solution - the TINA defense - there is no alternative.

    Certainly, no covenant is one alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think she is trying to defend the entire covenant in this short essay. I think she is making one point and one point only: that talking with each other is always better than refusing to do so. And she is reflecting on the fact that in her province of the communion, there are protocols to help the three different branches do that. Therefore she's hopeful that the covenant could be useful to help that happen on a worldwide basis.

    Personally I don't have a lot invested in this; I'm more interested in the unity of the Body of Christ than the unity of the Anglican Communion. I'm not altogether sure that God notices an institution called the Anglican Communion, but I'm fairly sure that he's passionately committed to a mystical reality called the Body of Christ. To me it has never made much sense that I'm apparently in full communion with John Shelby Spong (with whom I disagree about almost every essential of the Christian faith) but not with my local Mennonite pastor friends, with whom I am in very close agreement about the Gospel and about the call to Christian discipleship. I think we live in a changing world and that Christian institutions are changing, breaking up and reforming.

    Victoria has much more of a personal investment in the Anglican institution than I do. That doesn't mean that I don't respect her and look up to her as a wise and committed Christian leader. When I think back to the time a few years ago when she went through breast cancer treatment and had a double mastectomy, I'm still full of admiration for the strength of her faith and the way she modelled Paul's words for our whole diocese: 'Whether we live or die, we are the Lord's'. That doesn't mean that I will never disagree with her, but it does mean that I will always try to remember to speak respectfully of her.

    Long answer to a short question; sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire Bishop Victoria for her work in the Diocese of Christchurch especially after the earthquakes and think she provides an excellent example of how a woman can fulfill the role. But I do not understand her reasoning on the Covenant especially when I am told some parishes in her diocese will not invite her to visit because she is a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not altogether sure that God notices an institution called the Anglican Communion, but I'm fairly sure that he's passionately committed to a mystical reality called the Body of Christ.

    Amen to that, Tim.

    Are Bp. Victoria and the others who favor the covenant blind to the fact that its adoption will not get people talking with each other? Some churches and Primates have already turned away from the covenant and the Anglican Communion, because the covenant is not punitive enough to suit them, even with its punitive Section 4.

    Plus, there is now talk of an Anglican Mission in Canada, similar to AMiE in England and AMiA in the US, which will likely lead to further division.

    Brian, if it is true that the bishop cannot visit in some of her parishes, that is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, the covenant will obviously only get people talking to each other if they join it. That goes without saying.

    As for an Anglican Mission in Canada, we've had an Anglican Network in Canada (under the Southern Cone) for years. I know some of the people in it and I respect them, but that road is not for me. I fully accept that the Anglican Church of Canada is a rusty bucket at best and getting rustier, but I think ANiC has its rust spots too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brian, Victoria had a parish like that in her diocese when she was here in Edmonton, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. But we were already talking to each other. Now some have left, and this version of the covenant will not bring them back, and this version may result in more of us being eased out. The group will grow smaller.

    I'm quite pessimistic about the future of the various Christian denominations, but I'm not pessimistic about the future of the Body of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, the covenant will obviously only get people talking to each other if they join it. That goes without saying.

    I disagree.

    TEC will continue to talk to anybody/EVERYbody, willing to talk, w/o signing Covenant.

    IF those churches who affirm LGBTs sign the Covenant, there are many who won't talk to them, regardless of whether they, too, sign the Covenant.

    [And FWIW, I'm willing to be in full communion w/ BOTH Spong and the Mennonites! (And I bet Spong would want to be in communion w/ the Mennonites, too. Just my hunch)]

    ReplyDelete
  19. JCF, you are correct. I don't know of an instance when members of TEC have refused to talk to members of other provinces because of their beliefs, governance, or practices.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not much listening going on, though, on either side, is there? I mean, as long as Africa keeps dismissing North America as apostate (which some may well be) and North America keeps dismissing Africa as Neanderthal and fundamentalist (which some may well be), I doubt if much real listening will happen on either side. And I suspect that you're right and a covenant won't change this, but I don't think the status quo holds out much hope either.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tim, there is no equivalence in your comparison. You remind me of the newspersons presenting 'both sides' of the story. Anglicans in North America do not refuse to be in the same room with African Anglicans, nor do we refuse to speak to them, as certain of the African Anglicans do with us. Come on, now. Be fair.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Actually not true Tim -- many dioceses have partnerships with African dioceses and lots of listening going on at the ground level. Primates - maybe not so much

    ReplyDelete
  23. Little question that had an Anglican Covenant, as envisioned, been in force in the 70's, women's ordination to the priesthood, let alone to the episcopate, would have been blocked.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ann, you're quite right. Relationships continue on the ground, diocese to diocese and parish to parish.

    Lapin, we would have women in the priesthood and in the episcopacy in the Episcopal Church, but we would probably have been disciplined in some manner for our our actions and possibly even thrown out of the communion, had such a covenant been in place.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, the fact is that although ordination of women to the priesthood was controversial in the 1960s and 70s, no member province of the Anglican Communion felt so strongly about the issue as to declare itself to be out of communion with another province for going ahead with it. Also, if you examine the Lambeth Resolutions of 1968 on the subject it is clear that, although caution is recommended, there was no question of any primate trying to use coercion on another primate or province to influence their decision on the matter.

    So, while no one can answer the question of what might have been, to state categorically that, had the proposed covenant been in force in the 1970s women's ordination would have been blocked seems to me to be going beyond the evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tim, have you read the text of the covenant? Have you read Section 4?

    Of course, no one can say categorically what would have happened back in the day. I said 'probably'.

    What about addressing what Ann and I see as the unfairness and inaccuracy in your earlier comment?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Um - yes, I've read it several times, and my conclusion is that it will be neither as good as its defenders claim nor as bad as its opponents warn.

    Ann says, Actually not true Tim -- many dioceses have partnerships with African dioceses and lots of listening going on at the ground level. Primates - maybe not so much

    Well, for me it all boils down to this. Are any of us actually prepared to change our behaviour because of what we hear from the 'other'? I don't just mean in terms of 'moratoria' (which basically mean "I'm willing to stop doing this for a while, but eventually you'll smarten up and see it my way"). I mean, are we going into these conversations with the thought that, "You know, there's a good possibility that they may be right and I may be wrong. If that turns out to be true, I'm prepared to abandon the course of action that I was planning to take".

    Well, I have no window into others' souls, so I'm not prepared to pronounce on that issue. But outward appearances seem to indicate to me that not many people are taking their listening that seriously. At least not in the blogosphere, but maybe, as Ann says, there are some real conversations going on when people meet face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Um - yes, I've read it several times, and my conclusion is that it will be neither as good as its defenders claim nor as bad as its opponents warn.

    Tim, thanks for your 'fair and balanced' opinion. ;-)

    The folks on the ground in the North American/African Anglican cooperative ventures are doing mission work in both directions. They must speak to each other to get anything done. Whether opinions change is not the point. They must communicate to work together. And the old saying, 'All church is local,' still applies when more than one party is involved.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.